Unexpectedly, FIFA published the Garcia report on awarding the World Cup to Russia and Qatar. Many details confirm the self-service mentality of the officials. FIFA boss Blatter and executive member Beckenbauer are listed.
FIFA has gone on the offensive in the ongoing debate about the scandalous World Cup awards to Russia and Qatar and has published the Garcia report, which has long been kept under wraps. In the 430-page document by the US lawyer Michael Garcia from 2014, more or less serious violations of practically all World Cup applicants at the time against the ethical rules of the world football association are described.
However, Garcia was apparently unable to find clear evidence of a targeted influence on the World Cup vote on December 2, 2010 in his two-year investigations. However, it is also clear that significantly more disreputable material was collected against Qatar than against Russia. In his summary, Garcia concludes that FIFA electors in particular did not obey the rules.
Wanted personal benefit
"In addition, the applicants operated in an environment where several executives did not hesitate to use a system that did not bind them to the same rules as the applicants in certain areas," the report said. Some executive members have sought "personal benefit" to improve their status in their home countries.
No serious reproaches are made to the former FIFA boss Joseph Blatter. However, it is noted that shortly before the vote, he agreed to a bonus of $ 200,000 for everyone – including two suspended members of the Executive Committee.
The role of the then German member of the FIFA Executive Committee, Franz Beckenbauer, is also discussed in detail. However, these findings are not new. A conflict of interest existed in relation to his advisor and friend Fedor Radmann and the Australian candidacy.
Gifts and amenities
Virtually no serious violations could be proven in Russia. For example, while gifts and amenities such as Kremlin and ballet visits are listed, the report states: "Even though the total cost of travel and accommodation for members of the FIFA Executive Committee and their families exceeds what would normally be considered ancillary costs , the assumption of the costs was not forbidden per se by the FIFA conduct costs at the time. " However, the computers of the Russian application committee were already destroyed at the time of the investigation.
A somewhat clearer picture emerges around Qatar’s application. South American representatives are said to have requested travel by private or government aircraft to and from Rio de Janeiro. Two million US dollars also ended up in the account of a ten-year-old daughter of a member of the Executive Committee. The report also notes that there is "no evidence in the logs" linking the payment to the Qatar application.
So far legal concerns
The decision on the unexpected publication was made by the new head of the FIFA Ethics Committee. On Monday evening, the "Bild" newspaper quoted details from the report by US lawyer Michael Garcia. This had not yet been published due to legal concerns raised by the ethics officers of the world football association.
According to FIFA, President Gianni Infantino has long been in favor of publication. Despite the incriminating evidence that the candidates could influence the electors of the then FIFA Ethics Committee, FIFA did not sanction the World Cup hosts Russia and Qatar.